Happy New Year from MPP RasheedPublished on December 31, 2020
Hello, my friends and neighbours,
As you know, Ontario entered a province-wide shutdown beginning December 26th at 12:01 a.m. The intent of the shutdown is to limit travel across the province to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19 while protecting health care capacity in hospitals across Ontario.
You may find more information regarding the province-wide shutdown by following the link below.
The shutdown means that Ontarians are facing a holiday and new year season like none other before. I know it has been difficult and challenging to maintain social distancing protocols throughout this year, and I want to thank each of you for doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
The year 2020 remains the most unprecedented that I have experienced in my career or personal life. I am thankful to the people of Mississauga East-Cooksville for working so hard to support one another through these challenging and difficult times. Our riding is home to a diverse population and my team and I are working hard on supporting everyone’s unique concerns and needs.
You may want to refer to the following website links for more information on supports for Ontarians during the on-going COVID-19 Crisis.
- Coming soon: Ontario Small Business Support Grant to help businesses during the Provincewide Shutdown.
- Learn about COVID-19 vaccines and when they will be available in Ontario
- Get Support for Learners
- Businesses and organizations – get free marketing materials to promote COVID Alert
- Test and testing location information
- Find free mental health services and supports
- Read the latest announcements about COVID-19
- Learn about our new framework to keep Ontario safe and open
- Sector-specific resources to prevent COVID-19 in the workplace
In 2020, I am proud to say that my first Private Member’s Bill, Bill 154, the Stop Cyberbullying in Ontario Day Act, received royal assent and became law in Ontario. Additionally, my second PMB, Bill 230 the Front-line and Essential Service Worker Week Act, passed first and second reading in the fall session. I am honoured to bring attention to these two important causes through my legislation.
A Hopeful New Year.
We know that for too-many Ontarians, 2020 has been an extremely difficult year. I would like to express my deepest sympathies to those persons and families who have experienced challenges and loss this year. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
In 2021, I hope to continue to work with my colleagues in government to make sure Ontario is on the best path to overcoming the COVID-19 crisis, strengthening our economy, and improving the lives of all Ontarians.
I want to wish you, your families, friends and loved ones a safe and happy new year. I am looking forward to serving the wonderful people of Mississauga East-Cooksville and Ontario in 2021.
Thank you to Front-Line and Essential Service Workers.
Finally, I would like to thank Ontario's Front-Line and Essential Service workers for their continued dedication and support in keeping Ontarians safe throughout the year. There are simply no words to describe the dept of gratitude we owe to each and every one of you.
For more information on the latest updates regarding the province's response COVID-19 please visit https://covid-19.ontario.ca/
Help Stop The Spread. COVID-19 can be a deadly disease. You can take actions to help stop the spread:
- Find out how to celebrate safely with the people you live with.
- Only travel if it’s essential, and isolate for 14 days if you do.
- Stay home – save lives and don’t put others at risk.
- Practise physical distancing – stay 2 metres away from anyone who is not in your household.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often.
- Learn about face coverings – how to use, clean and dispose of them.
- Get the facts about COVID-19covid 19 – basics, symptoms and treatment.
Updates and resources from Public Health Ontario.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns regarding any provincial matters please reach out to me at any time. Wishing you and your loved ones a safe, healthy and happy New Year.
Kaleed Rasheed, your MPP for Mississauga East-Cooksville.